Monday, August 15, 2011

Family Room Fabrics

 A family room is one of those spaces that requires a lot of soft furnishings...drapes, sofa and accent chair upholstery, throw pillows, throw blankets, etc. Now, I don't know about most people, but the thought of mixing and matching colors and patterns is quite daunting. I suppose I could just play it safe and stick to all solid fabrics, but that would be so boring!
So I'm cheating. Using Hot House Flowers in Spark as my starting point, I figured I'd use one of it's coordinating fabrics within the same line elsewhere in the room.
Hot House Flowers is a gorgeous fabric, but a little will go a long way. I had originally intended on using it to reupholster the accent chair that I picked up at the Salvation Army, but now I think that the pattern was just too similar in scale to our new rug to use it on something as large as a chair. I think it will be better suited as throw pillows instead. 

I think something a little more geometric (and affordable) will be a better solution for the accent chair. Betwixt, also from Celerie Kremble's line, in charcoal/ecru will go perfectly with the rug and the flannel gray sofa we just purchased.


Throw in some grasscloth wallpaper, these drapes, and some leather pieces, and hopefully we'll have one cohesive and coordinated room when we're done.

By the way, did you know that you can order "trade only" fabrics without going through a designer? I ordered these samples through a website called Designer Fabrics For Less.  Other sites like it are Maddie G Designs and Decorators Best. I don't know about you, but having access to these fabrics has made decorating more fun! 

22 comments:

hollyG said...

Oh I'm drooling over here...LOVE your fabric choices! I see the brownstone chic evolving. And that's a great tip - I had no idea and will have to keep that in mind.

Maury said...

It's going to look so good! Those drapes are gorgeous!
afabulesshome.blogspot.com

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

Love the fabrics and the mix of patterns.

DecorandtheDog said...

Thanks for letting me know where I can find more fabric to get myself in trouble. You're the best. :P

I LOVE the fabric you have picked out for the chair!! Love, love, love it. Good choice.

Portuguese Prepster said...

love the mix of fabrics and patterns!

Ashley said...

See, you ARE brave to mix patterns--they look great. I love the addition of the Betwixt!!

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

Looking good!! I can't wait to see how it all comes together, I especially love the floral fabric in the first pic!

Cathy Wall said...

Did you know that Stout Brothers has a fabric similar to Betwixt? Not sure if it comes in the same gray but when I get home I'll get you the scoop! Probably a lot less $$

Cathy

Kelly @ View along the way said...

Thanks for the tip on buying fabrics that are normally to-the-trade! I LOVE that hot house print and can't wait to see how it all looks when it comes together! Gonna be gorgeous!!

The enchanted home said...

Also love that fabric and the introduction of a geometric in a darker color is a good move. The drapes sound lovely......cannot wait to see all this together. Its going to be fabulous!
Stop by, doing a great giveaway!!

Interior Design Musings said...

Hey Carrie!
Love your selections. I just did a design plan for a client and we used the hothouse and the betwixt (but in orange). Thought you might like to see the source I used for the hothouse pillows for her. It's an etsy shop and if you are not into sewing them, this may save you a bit more money! Enjoy! M.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62383354/hot-house-flowers-linen-pillow-22-sq

Jamie said...

Love, love both of those fabrics

Lisa @ Cozy Condo Living said...

Love the fabric choices!!! Good call on not using the Hot House Flowers for a chair. The colors are perfect, though. I'm so excited about the fabric websites you gave. My sis and I were looking at fabrics for her room this weekend and the ones we really liked were for the trade only. Boo! Can't wait to see your room come together.

SHERRY HART said...

I am using that same fabric for a job...I looked and looked for something else...but what can I say, it is just too perfect, with all of the right colors!

classic • casual • home said...

This will be beautiful!

The Vintique Object said...

I love how you walked us through your thought process in choosing fabrics. So cool to see how the floral really is similar in scale to the pattern on the carpet and how you decided to use it for throws instead. I need all the help i can get in this area, so I loved seeing inside your brain. Anticipating your reveal even more now, although i know I need to wait until the fall...
Camille

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

I love your two fabric choices together!Thanks for the awesome fabric sites!

Erin @ His and Hers said...

Fabric is so overwhelming to me because there is SO much of it. I like the hot house with the charcoal geometric--good choice! (Now I'm going off to try and figure out why a fabric would be named "Hot House." Or maybe I'm just dense and there's a perfectly logical reason?)

natasha {schue love} said...

I am loving the mix of patterns here! Very luxe and rich looking!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Well, you know I'm in love with that fabric (it's on my orange velvet chair and makes me happy every time I see it)...I think we could be design twinsies (c: And as long as you don't find that comment insulting, I'm going to go ahead and say that I *love* this plan for the living room! You go, girl!

emily said...

Thanks for the links to the fabric sites. I love where you are headed -- hot house is a definite favorite. And that rug is fab!

Susie @ Maddie's Nest said...

Thanks so much for the mention....and I am glad to have foudn your wonderful blog....you have done amazing things in such a short amount of time. The bathroom has to be my favorite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...