Friday, December 2, 2011

And Now We Have Light...

No, I still don't have lighting for our family room, although I appreciate all of your feedback. Seems the alabaster lamps were overwhelmingly favored over a modern choice. I'll stop by the antique store over the weekend to see if they are still there...

In other lighting news, I have an update on the chandelier in our foyer. You may remember that just around the time we started our family room reno, the chandelier in our foyer was giving us some problems. Long story short, it crashed and made me cry and drink.

Well, I'm happy to say that the chandelier is once again hanging on Hazard Ave.

The electricians had to reposition it slightly to install the box to a beam.
 This is the underside of the medallion. Chris reattached it using liquid nails (the chandelier is screwed into the box above making the medallion nice and secure).
 Because of all the missing crystals, it looked a bit naked after the electricians hung it.
Luckily not all of the crystals that fell off of it broke. I just had to reattach most of them.
For the crystals that did break, I found some inexpensive replacements online.
The original crystals have black hooks. The replacements have brass hooks. I tried to reuse the black hooks from the broken pieces, but for the life of me, couldn't detach them with my bare hands.
A better homeowner would have gone down to the basement and ransacked her husband's workshop to find the wire cutters, pliers, and other such tools, but I am not that person. I decided I just didn't care that much and went ahead and used the brass hooks that came with the replacements.
All better! 
Well, kind of. Now we'll need to paint the ceiling to erase that ugly stain where the medallion used to be. That's okay though as the foyer is a project we hope to get to in 2012. 

Since we're on the subject of chandeliers, I might as well share the mini-makeover to the one we have in our dining room. 
It is just a standard brass chandelier. It was probably installed in the late 70's early 80's, and clearly looking a bit dated. 
 To tide me over until we can replace it with a chandelier I love, I settled for black chandelier shades I bought for under $6 each at Lowes.
 Brass is back, baby! 
What a difference the black shades make! Now it's looking like it's dressed for a party. Have to say that I'm actually digging the brass now. 

Now let's play a fun game...I put the shades on while Chris was at work. How long do you think it will take him to notice them? 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...