Monday, December 19, 2011

Like Spun Gold For Walls

I've got big news...
Our family room has been papered! Because we primed the walls with wallpaper sealer ourselves, we cut a day off of the paper hanger's work and he was able to squeeze us into his schedule right away. 
Sorry for the teaser shot, but I'm waiting until we get a couple more elements in place before I give you the final room reveal. Like outlet covers. We still need to hang artwork too. I'm also waiting on side tables which my husband tells me are on backorder. Cute. 

But let's talk some more about wallpaper since we're on the subject. If you are anything like me, you are probably curious about how much this stuff costs. I went with the least expensive/nicest looking natural grasscloth I could find because I knew I had such a large room to cover.  We ultimately used Decorator Grasscloth pattern # 488116 that I found at Steve's Blinds and Wallpaper

The size of our room is roughly 15x16 with 10 foot ceilings. It has 3 windows, a fireplace and 5 doorways. I just gave that info to the wallpaper hanger and he estimated how many rolls we'd need (about 20 single rolls in our case). 

Our guy charges more to hang grasscloth than regular wallpaper because it is more difficult to work with (to give you an idea $32 a roll for grasscloth $28 a roll for paper). No, he's not cheap, but our walls are old and the room has a lot of crazy angles.  We knew doing it ourselves would have looked like...we did it ourselves. Time to call in a professional. 

Let me show you what he could do that amateurs like Chris and I could not:
Mitered the corner under the soffit. 
 Made this awkward corner & angle look seamless.
And he did this fancy trick to the wall outlets and switch plates. Total showoff. 

So there you have it.  Any questions?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...