Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Vanity Old and New

I received a lot of questions about our bathroom vanity and how we made it darker. I actually did it on a whim almost a year ago.  I had extra stain left over from another project and figured I had nothing to lose. If I didn't like it, I could just paint over it.

To refresh your memory, here it is in all its blond oak glory.
This is the product and color I used. 
 Not only is it a stain and polyurethane in one, but the directions say that you can apply it over existing stain. No sanding or stripping necessary. By my own admission, I'm really lazy when it comes to projects like these (much to my husband's chagrin), so naturally I was all over a product that did most of the the work for me.

After the first couple of brush strokes, I remember thinking, "Yikes! There's no turning back now!"
 When I decided that I liked it enough to continue, I removed the hardware and the doors and stained those separately.
I ended up applying 3 coats to get the color I wanted.
Not too bad for the cost of a can of stain and a few hours of my time.

Click here see the finished guest bath!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...