Monday, July 2, 2012

Houses on Parade

Chris and I spent the weekend before last visiting my parents in Ohio. On the agenda was a day at the Parade of Homes. The Building Industry Association of Central Ohio has been organizing the Parade of Homes since 1952. The parade opens newly built homes to the public for a two week period every June to promote "the latest and greatest ideas in home design, landscaping, and products".  

Since my parents moved to Ohio, going to these parades has become a family obsession. In fact, while we were waiting in line to buy our tickets, my dad proclaimed that waiting in line for the Parade of Homes, "was better than waiting in line for Disney World".
The family favorite: 
 My dad dubbed this year's decor theme as "Mad Men Modern"
 We saw a lot of interior transom windows
One home had a built in aquarium in the shower of kids' Jack and Jill bathroom.
 Statement making powder rooms were abundant.
 Mudrooms were decked out with enough custom cabinetry to make Martha Stewart jealous.
  Wallpaper was used liberally.
 Ginormous great rooms are still very popular.
Along with the ginormous great rooms, there were plenty of lofts. Here's the view from one.
Kitchens ran the gamut from ho-hum to over-the-top. Below was your standard subway tile, black granite, white cabinetry (and a surprisingly tiny island) kitchen.
 This home had a bigger price tag than the one above and a kitchen that was more tricked out. Those are quartz countertops made to look like marble.
Kitchen in the photo below was my favorite. Unfortunately, by the time we got to this house on the tour, my cell phone battery had died so I couldn't get a picture of the fabulous subway tile backsplash laid in a herringbone pattern. 
Miller Troyer Custom Homes
Walk in pantries (many with barn doors) were in almost every home.
Horizontal stripes

 Closets were very roomy. This "owner's suite" closet had two floors! I can't decide if that would be a good thing or annoying.
 One of the decorator's used the storage cubby in the closet of a kid's room to make a secret hide out.
 Maybe...just maybe... I'd work out more often if I had a Pilates studio in my basement.  I liked how the builder used large basement windows and the decorator made them look pretty with potted plants.
 Dear Chris, Please put this pretty molding somewhere in our house.
This too please.
 I didn't see as much painted cabinetry as I thought I would, but here's a pretty slate gray in a master bathroom.
Pretty tile work and an interesting shower/tub layout.
Miller Troyer Custom Homes
Yes, Dad, better than Disney World :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...