Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Reno Burnout

It's for real, people, and I've got a bad case of it.
Anyone who's had the pleasure of living in their home during a remodel will be able to relate. A remodel can be disruptive, uncomfortable and my house always feels messy. There are rooms that often look like this for months
 Resulting in other rooms that look like this
Why, yes. That is an ottoman in my dining room. 
(The current state of my living room and dining room is a story for another day.) Making reno-related decisions and giving up our weekends to work on the house has gotten exhausting.

Maybe I was spoiled by the all the help we had over the summer when we hired roofers and painters to work on the exterior of our house. Oh! How nice it was to come home after a long day of working at my real job to enjoy all the progress that was made in my absence. Except to write out the check, I didn't need to lift a finger.

So now, despite our original plan to do the skimcoating ourselves in the hallway, I begged and pleaded with Chris to let me hire someone to do it for us. It is a dirty, dusty job that a professional can do better and faster. Plus, have you seen the wall to the left of our staircase?
That wall is at least a mile high and was not intended to be reached by normal humans. There's no way in hell I'm getting on some makeshift scaffolding to skimcoat it myself. There are also some old patch jobs and cracks in the ceilings that could really use the attention of a professional.

So there.

My proclamation has not go down well, if you are curious to know. My husband is no DIY purist -- heck, we hire contractors all the time, but skimcoating is a job he feels strongly about doing ourselves. It isn't cheap and we could save a ton of money.

I get that, I really do. But that doesn't change the fact that I don't want to do it. I don't want to live with the mess, I don't want it to take as long as it would take us to do ourselves, I. Just. Don't. Want. To.

That ladies and gentlemen, is what goes on inside the head of someone who's burnt out on their renovation.  And because my husband is awesome (and understanding and sympathetic and smart) he's agreed to bring in the professionals.

yay :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...