Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Skim This, Yo!

Happy New Year!
Hope you all had a relaxing holiday. Chris and I sure did. We were productive too. The plasterers finally finished so Chris and I took the week off between Christmas and New Years Day to work on the hallway.

Let me catch you up to speed and show you what the plasterers did. (Apologies in advance for the quality of these photos. Most were taken at night).

The first thing they did was make a mess. Down came the old cracked ceiling in our foyer.
 Off came the plaster going up the stairs. The plaster "keys" between the lath had broken and the plaster was starting to pull away from the wall. It was causing the wall to bulge. If you pressed against it, it moved. Not cool.
This exposed area was eventually replaced by sheetrock.
 A day later, the new ceiling was installed and the first coat of joint compound went up.
Between you and me, I thought the walls were looking pretty good at this point. I would have stopped here if I had done it myself, but they went on to apply two more coats. Two more coats!
Upstairs you can see where they left off for the day. 

Here's Chris admiring their work.
He's also saying "Carrie, I'm SO glad I didn't have to do this myself. Thank you so much for realizing that we needed the help of professionals for this job. You are so smart and the best wife ever."
 Here's how the plasterers were able to reach the tall wall next to the stairs. One end rests on a step, and the other end is placed on a rung of a ladder at the bottom of the stairs. Looks sturdy enough, but I'm glad it was them and not me who had to stand on it.
 We were adamant that the original ceiling medallions be kept intact.
And they were. They actually left it up when they took down the ceiling, and installed the new sheetrock ceiling above it.
Here are our hallways all skimmed, sanded, and looking fabulous. 

With the exception of this project cutting so close to Christmas, it was quick and painless.
Well, there was also the dust factor. Even though every adjacent door was closed or sealed off with plastic, a fine powder of skimcoat dust still coated everything in our house.
Guess what Chris got as a Christmas gift from Santa this year?
A dust abatement system for his shop. We joked that we should have thought to set up upstairs...

There's more fun on the way. Who wants to refinish some stairs?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...