Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014: Bring It On


Happy New Year!

The day after our last holiday guest drove away, Chris and I began our annual ritual of putting away Christmas decorations. Our motto: Get it out of here ASAP!  It is a renewing experience to again see the sunlight shine through the windows previously blocked by the tree, and I'm rather enjoying the nakedness of my home without all the extraneous stuff around.  It allows me to look at my home again with a fresh pair of eyes and ask, "What do I like about it? What do I want to change?"

So what changes will 2014 bring to Hazard Ave? Well, hopefully a new kitchen.
We've met with two contractors who've ballparked our dream kitchen in the $70-$75k range.
Ouch. 
Apparently things get pricy when you ask to take down walls, match really old hardwood floors, install a door & steps to the backyard where there currently isn't one,  and to "clean up" a mudroom & back stairway as part of your average kitchen remodel. Oh, and we may have also asked for a box beam ceiling. I blame Pinterest for my fancy pants needs. 

No doubt, 2014 is going to bring with it a big dose of reality.

Until that officially happens, I'll continue to enjoy some blissful ingorance where a kitchen with everything I want is still possible. 

Cabinet covered appliances and a custom range hood are a must. Obviously.
Decorpad
Transom windows above all doorways into the kitchen? Need.
Houzz

A 43" La Cornue in white with brass and chrome trim. Again, NEED. (I even resolve to learn to be a better cook in order to justify it.)
La Cornue
A coffered ceiling. Of course. 
BDG Style
A wall of floor to ceiling pantry cabinets. Must have.

This kitchen pretty much epitomizes it all. 
Elle Decor
I'll eat Ramen for a year if I must. 

12 comments:

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

All that millwork is making me swoon. If your kitchen ends up looking like that, I'm moving in! Happy new year.

Ashley said...

OMG that might mean eating Ramen for several years! The last pic is dreamy for real.

emily said...

All the inspiration picture are absolutely gorgeous! And that range . . . don't even get me started!

Happy new year!

Holly said...

I can't wait to see what you have planned for your kitchen. I'm dreaming of a kitchen reno at some point but we have no idea when we'll do it. Sooner than later hopefully.

Kimberly Lemmon said...

Wow, such lofty goals! Looking forward seeing you new kitchen come to life this year. Happy new Year!!

Linda Pakravan said...

Happy New Year! Can't wait to see the kitchen progress posts.

Tiffany said...

Yep, those are awesome kitchens. I hear they've really improved ramen, so that's the good news;) Hope you get your dream kitchen. I think 2014 is going to be a really good year.

The Impatient Home Builder said...

We added a transom window in the dining room/kitchen doorway during the design. We're really pleased that we did because besides looking great, it brings in a lot of additional light..

At the risk of a shameless recommendation, we used Riley Kitchens out of Bristol, RI for our kitchen design. We liked their design work and as the cabinets are being installed, they look even better than they did on a screen and paper.

Designing a kitchen is lot of work, but because it receives the heaviest use in a house, I think it's one of those rooms that you really have to do right.

Kim said...

Oh this will be fun to watch! We are in kitchen reno mode ... but within the walls it has and keeping the cabinets, hoping for fresh paint and a few new appliances, would kill for the la cornue!! xo

lisa allen said...

Yay! I'm so excited that you're working on another room this year. And it's a biggie. I like where you're going with it. Did you decide to get rid of the butler's pantry?

aki! said...

Oh my gosh! That's more than a year of my salary.

7% Solution

Arthur Bryant said...

A new kitchen sounds exciting. It’s not an easy journey, it’s a good thing that you first consulted your contractors to get an idea on how long it'll take and how much it will cost you. Wise move!

Arthur @ ContractorExpress.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...