Monday, February 17, 2014

The Plan

Sorry to hold out on you for so long, but I've been waiting for something worthwhile to report. Planning a kitchen remodel is a slowwwwwwww process.

A few weeks ago, Chris and I met with a kitchen designer at a local cabinet showroom who was recommended by a contractor bidding on the project. For anyone who is curious, the designer is paid on commission from the cabinetry we purchase. We also have the option of purchasing the plans for a small fee and buying the cabinetry elsewhere.

I brought her photos of our current kitchen, several inspiration pictures to show her, and a few days later she came out to the house to take measurements.

Then she got busy.

Chris and I went back to the showroom a few nights ago to review her design ideas. I'll admit that I was a nervous wreck, scared that the kitchen of my dreams lived only in my imagination, but I shouldn't have been. We're both thrilled with the plan.


Some of the obvious changes include a new row of windows above the sink (where a lot of god awful cabinets currently hang) and a sweet new island where I can sit while watching Chris make dinner and do all the dishes. What isn't so obvious is that we'll be removing the existing butler's pantry to extend the kitchen all the way to the dining room.

Having direct access between the kitchen and dining room is going to be HUGE and the change that I'm the most excited about. Right now, we have to walk into the butler's pantry, turn left, walk down a hallway, then turn right to get to the dining room. You need a map! Not so fun when entertaining.

Yes, I was sad to see the pantry go, but only for about 5 seconds. A larger kitchen will be more functional for us (and I presume for future inhabitants too). Families just don't live the way they did when this house was built. The butler's pantry goes bye bye.

The designer sent the specs and measurements to the contractor who will confirm if the plan is structurally possible. We'll also get the official dreaded price tag.

I'll be in touch.


12 comments:

Ashley said...

oooh exciting!!!

Tiffany said...

Yay! A new kitchen. That's probably the most exciting renovation, in my humble opinion.

Kirsten said...

Looks amazing on paper...can't imagine what it's going to look like in real life! So exciting!!

Down Raspberry Lane said...

Oh, a plan on paper is the beginning of the reality. The kitchen is the mother of all remodeling projects, in my opinion, so be nice to each other while you take it one step at a time. Can't wait to follow along!

Linda Pakravan said...

this is going to be fun!

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

Yay, you're back! You've been missed. These plans are amazing. You have to do what works for you. Then, you will be the happiest. Getting rid of the butler's pantry sounds like a very smart idea. I also love those new windows!! :)

Ri Home said...

Nice! The large windows really open it up and will let in a lot of natural light. Sounds like the Butler's Pantry was a waste of space so good idea to put that space to better use. Are you having any upper cabinets?

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh, this is so exciting, Carrie! While I love original elements like a butler's pantry, I think you are right to sacrifice it in the interest of more space and a more open layout.

You've made such beautiful choices so far in your house and I'm sure a new kitchen will be the cherry on top!

Holly said...

You must be giddy with excitment (aside from the *gulp* price tag) but you know how awesome it's going to be once it'd done. If you don't mind me asking, what brand of cabinets does this showroom carry? We were really pleased with the place we worked with when we remodeled the kitchen in our old house, and I would use them again but I'm always curious what other manufacturers people like (our old cabinets were Jim Bishop cabinets and I LOVED them). Looking forward to seeing your updates on the kitchen!

Anna [DirectionsNotIncluded] said...

Wow! That is exciting. I love the look of the new design. Yes, the price tags always hurt but it will be so worth it in the end. Good luck!

Cathy Wall said...

WOW!!!! Love where this is headed and so excited for you guys to get the kitchen you have been dreaming of!

Chris Karagiannis said...

Hi, first off, your blog rocks!!!! I love everything you guys do! Was this plan gicen to you by the showroom designer and made with 20-20 software? The reason I ask is that you can download a free copy of our software to plan your dream kitchen!!! here is the link; http://www.2020technologies.com/en-ca/services/free-trial

Let me know if I can help! I work for 20-20 Design, we supply solutions for interior design and software. But the free trial is for 30 days and could be fun for you:)
Christina
christina.kmtl@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...